The MLS Week 23 schedule is jam packed with important games. We’ll get to the two biggest games of the weekend below, but in the meantime here’s a few things to watch out for elsewhere around the league.
- NYCFC traveling to Columbus Ohio to attempt a mid-season relegation of the Crew
- a game of too many blue hues up in Vancouver, Danny isn’t a fan apparently of San Jose playing other blue teams
- The Jordan Morris Passing Clinic up in Seattle against the Salt Lakers. Find out if he’ll ever shoot again
- Orlando travels up to Chicago to see if the team is still there. If so, maybe a match will be played. No one is quite sure. Jason Kreis is making the trip just to try the hotdogs
- Toronto goes to the suffering Houston Dynamo. I’m gonna save you the time and give you the actual scoreline right now. 22-0, Toronto wins.
- FC Dallas is hosting Sporting KC. FC Dallas is dominating right now, while SKC just lost 3-0 to Portland. If SKC doesn’t right the ship they’re probably going to find themselves out of the playoff picture with Portland having recently polished off a triple espresso as they smash their way up the standings and San Jose three games in-hand on them and only 6 points back.
Here’s some actual previews:
LA Galaxy vs Colorado Rapids – 10:30pm EST – Saturday August 13 – MLS Live (how is this not nationally televised. Ugh)
LA Galaxy is on a pretty nice streak with no losses in 8 games, but the last two have been tough draws and low scoring affairs. The Rapids, who beat the Whitecaps 2-0 last weekend, don’t give up a lot of goals though. Even on the road they average 1 conceded goal per game. LA is going to need a strong performance from their midfield to give Gio Dos Santos and Robbie Keane opportunities up top, because it’s going to be tough for them to create opportunities on their own let alone score them against the top Goalie EVER (Tim Howard, though that statement is a bit misleading I guess. Who cares, TH is the man)
Rapids have a tough road ahead too, LA gives up nothing at home and have one of the best defenses in the league as well. Also, if I were Kevin Doyle I’d be avoiding whatever side of the field Nigel De Jong is on. If anyone’s going to reopen the cavern in Doyle’s leg it’s going to be that nefarious foot stomper. Incase you don’t know what I’m referring to with Nigel De Jong, here ya go:
That’s just one of a long line of terrible tackles that scary bastard has produced. I’m thinking Shkelzen Gashi and Kevin Doyle avoid him at all costs.
Score prediction: LA probably has the stronger all-around squad, though you can never count out guys like Doyle and Marlon Hairston on Colorado. LA is home though, and the Rapids haven’t won their in 3 years, so I’m giving them the edge. I think LA is going to get a goal or two early and force the Rapids to open up, so it’ll be all on whether they can finish. I’m going with yes they will and it’s gonna be a 2-2 draw. Most specific score prediction ever.
NY Red Bulls vs Montreal Impact – 7PM EST – Saturday August 13 – MLS Live / MSG
The Red Bulls need a win badly. They blew it big time against LA Galaxy last week, giving up a last minute equalizer from Ashley Cole of all people, and they also had about 40 players come off injured, including BWP (who is day to day). This game is also crucial because Montreal is tied with them in points but has two games in hand on them, so a loss for NYRB would be a massive blow.
Montreal should be feeling pretty good about this situation on Saturday. Their ridiculously large and legendary striker Drogba is playing great footy and is back in the lineup after his dopey red-card a few games back. Basically the entire Red Bulls defense is injured with Connor Lade out for the season, Damien Perrinelle gone for at least four weeks, and Dax McCarty and Gideon Baah who are also out. Probably my favorite thing to mention is that massive complainer and Red Bulls coach Jesse Marsch is out for the game as well, so they’ll be coached by a horny teenager jacked up on Red Bull Zero. This probably isn’t true, but it’d be a hell of a marketing move.
Score prediction: 3-0 Montreal. Impact midfielder Piatti is just too good to let a bad defense go to waste, and with Drogba back and ready to roll around on the actual grass pitch in Red Bull Arena, it might get ugly.
This is what Drogba can do to weak defenses:
Enjoy the games and the weekend – Hoff