February 20, 2016: FA Cup Fifth Round
Arsenal 0-0 Hull City
Arsenal, playing backups in many positions today, is kicking themselves after a wasteful performance at the Emirates. 11 shots on goal resulted in no goals with several other good opportunities not even challenging the goalkeeper. Hull for their credit is a soccer team with actual uniforms.
- Elneny made another start today and actually looked pretty sharp. His shot on net early on was handled inappropriately in the box by a hull defender, but he never blew the whistle. Overall he looked more comfortable than before, and most importantly didn’t have any huge errors.
- Hull’s keeper, Jakupović, had a great game. He had 11 saves at crucial times during the match. Arsenal once again manages to make an opposing goalie look like a super human. I’m not sure if it’s Arsenal’s impotent finishing skills or that they have been cursed by a genie.
- Ramsey, Cech, and Ozil were all rested for the game. Sigh.
- Arse nearly scored when a Campbell free kick was tipped by Hull’s goalie onto the bar. The rebound was loaded into a cannon and blasted to France by Flamini for safe keeping.
- Alexis’s final touch has been reminiscent of a dump truck petting a kitten but his overal quality should start to turn around once he gets more regular minutes.
Probably the biggest disappointment of the day is that Arsene didn’t get to perform his double fist-pump after practicing all week. Oh, and they have to play another game now (game gets replayed due to the tie), on top of an already hectic Premier League and Champions League schedule.
“We play patty cake in England?” – Elneny discovering british football’s intricacies
Koscielny after giving himself an extreme nipple twist to express his displeasure at the result